Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dads

When I think back and smile about Dad I will always remember when he and I would "wrestle" in the living room at our first house on Anne Avenue. Dad would close the front window drapes so no one thought he was beating his toddler son to death. Then we would wrestle and bounce off the couch and I would laugh and have a great time.

I also remember Dad taking me to my first hockey game at the old Olympia Stadium (where I cried because it was so loud). There were many more Red Wings games with Dad over the years. Since Dad is from Scotland we actually kicked around a soccer ball more than playing catch. We even went to a soccer game at the Silverdome one time to see the Detroit Express.

There are so many good memories of vacations to Traverse City and even one trip to Scotland. Our vacations usually started out as a mystery trip that eventually landed us in Traverse City. No matter how hard we tried, somehow Dad always returned to his favorite place. We also relived some of our vacations through watching slides on the ol' projector. Dad would still break that out if we mentioned it. We have some really good pictures of our trip to Nova Scotia with the 'Zingers before Matthew was born. Heather and I were best buddies back then.

Dad, thanks for the memories.

Thanks for being a Dad that I can look up to. You've always thought of your families needs first and for that we may have been a bit spoiled, but you always wanted the best for us. Thank you. More than anything, you showed us that God is the most important thing in life and that has never left us.

Happy Father's Day (now a Grandfather too... Happy Father's Day Matthew!).

No comments: