Wednesday, March 14, 2007

How did this happen?

I have a confession to make... I have been watching American Idol.

Sad isn't it? It's not like it's some amazing thing... Millions, possibly even Billions of people watch it all the time. The thing is, I never used to... thought it was lame.

Sure, it's a lot of fun and strangely sad to see people make fools of themselves on National Television (especially in HD). The thing that is amazing to me is the number of people who seem to think they can sing. How does this happen? Maybe they just have really loving and supportive friends and family who want to encourage them no matter how bad they are... that is a blessing and a curse apparently. Sure, I wish there were more people that told me to reach for the stars when I was a kid, but thank God they didn't encourage me to do something I clearly had no talent in.

We're past all the horrible singing now (not if you ask Randy & Simon) and have moved into the top 12 singers that "America" has chosen to move on (Why do we let "America" decide these things? Has anyone noticed that "America" gets it wrong a lot? Two words: Sanjaya Malakar). So now they start singing certain styles and get critiqued by Randy, Paula & Simon... but we decide who moves on by calling an 800 number a million times. At any rate, it is actually kind of fun, because I enjoy pausing the TiVo while Cheryl and I give our own critiques (I usually end up pretty close to Simon without being as mean... Cheryl is nicer but we are usually in agreement).

So far I have some favorites. Blake Lewis is probably my number one pick, but just a little behind that is Chris Sligh. My buddy, Bill, knows Chris Sligh and is really pulling for him, but I am not really sure he is the best... maybe he will change my mind in the coming weeks. In reality, the best "singer" on the show is probably Melinda Doolittle. Cheryl loves her. Cheryl lets out this strange "Wooooooh!" everytime she sings and there is an occasional, "You go GIRL!" Very disturbing... funny and adorable, but disturbing.
So there it is, my dark secret... American Idol watcher. Pray for me, maybe it's just something that I need to get out of my system. Speaking of, did I mention that I have been watching a little NASCAR? Seriously, PRAY!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Cheryl. I like Melinda too!

Rumor has it that Chris Sligh was a former student at my College Alma Mater.

Scott Donnelly said...

I actually thought maybe Phil Stacey went there...

He said he had to cut his hair (used to be long)for the college he went to... it's a stretch, I know.

I will have to ask Billy-boy about Sligh. He did say he is 3 credits short of a vocal degree... interesting.

GodSide said...

"Why do we let "America" decide these things? Has anyone noticed that "America" gets it wrong a lot? Two words: Sanjaya Malakar"


Dude I am still laughing today with this quote! You are so right. He looks like a model for Target up there singing! My pals and I think that no one will ever live up to Kelly Clarkston, perhaps the one true Idol.

Anonymous said...

I heard he was kicked out for going to a concert.

Scott Donnelly said...

Jules - Sligh actually did go to BJ... no idea about the concert thing.

Kurtis Blow - Kelly Clarkson is good, I am also embarassed to admit I love her music. She definitely has some talent... is she the best yet? Probably, but I think Daughtry is giving her a run for her money.

Dan Jones said...

dude you move to ohio and...and what. man, nascar and american karoke! only God has the power to overcome that type of....ohio stuff. only in the armpit of america.
good to see you blogging again
maybe you'll be the inspiration i need.