Saturday, December 16, 2006

Punk Appeal

I'm sure not too many people know this about me, but deep down inside I have always wanted to be a pierced, tattooed punk rocker. I have always thought of myself as a bit of a "freak," while in reality I am pretty straight laced. It all boils down to the fact that I have a little rebel inside me... that part of me that always wants to be different and go against the flow of normalcy.

When it comes to living out my faith on a daily basis, I want to push the limit and get as close to the edge as possible. In doing so, I believe I'm consistently chasing after God. I never want to be complacent or go with the status quo just because everyone is doing it.

I happened to watch a new show on the Sundance Channel called "One Punk Under God," that follows Jay Bakker (above), son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. Jay started a church in 1994 that now has three locations in New York, Charlotte and Atlanta, called Revolution Church. At one point in the first show, Jay places a sticker on parking meter that says, "As Christians, we're sorry for being self-righteous, judmental bastards." I know, pushing the edge, but it's true isn't it? While I'm not sure I agree with all of Jay's views, I appreciate the way in which he lives out his faith. He is real and raw with who he is and where he's at in his walk. I can identify with that.

Jesus had such an amazing way about him when dealing with people. He was so hard on the religious people of the day (Pharisees), but loved and accepted the "sinners" where they were at while calling them to a better more fulfilling life. Living like that is my dream. Learning to love the unlovable. Seeing all people the way Jesus sees them; loved.

Maybe there needs to be more followers of Jesus like, Jay Bakker, Bono, Rob Bell, Tony Campolo, Brian McLaren and Jim Wallis and countless others... that live close to and sometimes over the edge. Honestly, it's all about looking at things differently... fresh perspectives on faith.

So who knows, maybe one day soon you'll see me walking up to you with a mohawk, peirced lip and tattoos all over the place... probably not, but we can always dream, can't we? Most important, I hope you begin to see me loving and accepting those who need it most so they can see Jesus right here, right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott awesome post. I went to Jays church in Atlanta and actually met him! I even asked him out to lunch! Though he never called, it was cool to meet him. I was at a Youth Convention that he spoke at as well, very convicting for some...as he spoke a word of rebuke to youth pastors who judge and treat differently the "punks."

I hope to see you when Im in Michigan.

A Fellow Punk

Kristi Kurtz said...

I really enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing....

Praying for you to be all God called you to be. Praying the same for myself.

Peace and love....
Kristi

Faithful Joy said...

I say ROCK OUT! Let your INNER PUNK LOOSE! We have a tatoo artist and piercing artist in Bellfontaine when you're ready! :o)

Great message. It never ceases to amaze me the things we hold on to as gospel when it's conviction; just when I think I am truly open-minded I am faced with a new scenario and God raises His eyebrows and looks at me as my initial reaction takes place. It's a constant struggle when you have been raised in a legalistic prison to bring to surface all of the lies and half-truths you have been fed. It's another part of the process of becoming more like Christ!