Sunday, July 23, 2006

Why?

Yesterday I got a text message from Stacey about Ed Horn.

Some of you may remember me writing about Ed and his battle with cancer. He went to the same high school as Cheryl and I and attends our old church, Northridge.

Stacey sent a text out for prayer, because Ed's body is shutting down... it just can't take much more. He coded a few times this past week and things have been progressively getting worse.

There are a whole range of emotions pulsing through my veins right now. I read about Ed last night and then checked out a great friend of mine's Blog and he talked about a friend who is going through sickness. I just started thinking, "God, why can't you just heal these guys? I know you can. Just do it!"

Frustration overtook me and I started looking at pictures of Ed and his family and I got mad. "God, why do these two men have to suffer? Whatever the lesson we need to learn or whatever lives need to be touched, there has to be another way?"

I looked at my life and I thought, "Why not take someone who has less to lose or fewer people to leave feeling devistated. Why not me?" I am not necessarily asking to take Ed's place, but I think about who I am and the faults I have and I think that there are people far more deserving of life. Not trying to be morbid here, but I just want Ed's kids to have a father. I want his son to have a dad to teach him how to be a man. His daughter a daddy to protect and shower her with the love deserving of "Daddy's Little Girl." His wife and the love of his life a partner to grow old with.

When I look at Kelly and I see in the things that she writes about their relationship, I see a lot of similarities to the love Cheryl and I share. My heart breaks for her. She seems to have such an amazing faith in the Father and what He is doing. She hopes for healing and believes that God will bring it. Now she sits beside her best friend and love of her life waiting, still hoping, but realizing that Ed may be leaving her. Why is this happening?

God, please save Ed. Please heal him. You are Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord your Healer (Exodous 15:26). We know that you can do it... we have seen you do it. Heal Ed.

I don't know how to end a post like this... I don't know how to feel about this. All I can ask is for you to pray for Ed and his family. I know that each and every one of us knows someone or has a family member or friend going through something, somewhere out there. We have all experienced loss.

Please pray for Ed.

2 comments:

runner4christ said...

Scott I am so sorry to here about Ed. He and his wife are in our prayers now... God has a plan and if there is one thing I know about God it is that he is faithful and true. He will guide and protect them. His arms are strong and gentle and although I personally do not know this family they are a testimony that those who are faithful to the Lord, he will preserve. Ps31:23.
We love you and are glad to be here if you need anything.
Amy Ragsdale

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing this about Ed and also for your comments. It can be very hard to have faith in God's plan in the midst of sadness and uncertainty. But we must remember He IS in control and His plan is perfect--even when it is beyond our understanding.