Friday, July 28, 2006

Roller Coaster

These last few days (really weeks) have been a roller coaster for me. I have been happy, sad, mad and just downright worried and doubting about this move to Ohio. Needless to say, my already gray head of hair (and beard) has gained quite a few more silvery white hair-mates (is that even a word??).

The enemy has really been after me. He really does not want this thing to happen and he has pulled out every trick in the book. I've been falling for a lot of them too. Doubt has been my middle name the past few weeks and I might as well change my last name to scaredy-cat. The fear of the unknown has overtaken me. The loss of control and trusting has made doubts creep in that I haven't felt in quite some time.

Throughout all of this my faithful, loving wife, Cheryl has been a rock. I have been shifting sand. She has encouraged me and felt my wrath during crazy mood swings of pent up frustration and fear. She is truly my better half, my "ezer kenegdo" (lifesaver alongside me).

The great thing about her is she keeps sending me back to the Savior. She has never relented to any of my complaining or whining. Gently she reminds me that God is on my side and will never leave me or forsake me.

This morning, I took my stand. The gloves were officially off and I decided to fight back,
hard. With my "sword" in hand, I started praying and asking God to forgive me for my doubt and fear. Then I came at satan with all I had. Verses were coming into my head to remind me of God's promises and everything that the devil had been using on me over these last few weeks I turned around on him.

"Your house will never sell."

Lie!! I immediately prayed for the people God has for this house. "God please bless this family. Let them know You and may this house be used for Your purposes." Before we painted the house, I felt urged to write Joshua 24:15 on the door posts... "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." This house has a blessing on it. My sister-in-law Phiona planted landscaping because she felt God calling her to do so because as she said, "He has a DOUBLE BLESSING for you!"

See the point is, the enemy has no dominion over my life or yours for that matter. We are bought for a price, the cleansing blood of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Our debt is paid! Satan tries as hard as he can to knock us off balance, but we have already won. He is just a nuisance.

A guy by the name of Graham Cooke has a great teaching called, "Messing with the enemy's head." I have listened to it numerous times because what he talks about is so true and life changing if you can just make it a part of your daily life. Whatever lies the evil one whispers to you, turn them around on him. He hates that. Remember God's promises. Basically, do the opposite of what he tempts you to do.

"Don't give your money to that bum, he'll just blow it all on alcohol!"

Turn it around, give him all you've got... you can't out give God. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George Costanza decides to do the opposite of everything he would usually do. He ends up getting the girl at the coffee shop and getting a job with the Yankees!

But serioulsy, what a concept... our flesh is always tempted to look out for number one and fall for the lies. Turn those thoughts around and you will see satan frustrated and heading for the hills, because the last thing he wants to do is make us stronger in the Father. When we are tempted and resist and put our trust in the Lord is kills him.

After all is said and done I am not out of the woods yet, but I have my head above water and I am ready for the fight. I put on my armor this morning and I am ready for the fight. God will not leave us hanging... He has begun a new work in our lives and will be faithful to complete it.

We covet your prayers... always know that there is a nice guest room available in Marysville, Ohio!

10 comments:

Lifetime Dieter said...

Scott
Thanks for writing that. You and Cheryl have been a huge encouragement to me through your writing. It is exciting to be used by God. We will be praying for you as you move.

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Scott Donnelly said...

Julie,

We love reading all your stuff too! I wish we had more time in Michigan and had made more time for you guys, but like I said, you are always welcome to visit. Just shoot us an email and we'll get the house ready to be invaded by the Castles!

----------
C. love you 2.

runner4christ said...

That is good stuff Scott!!! God is sharpening you, it sounds like He is up to something. There is one thing I loved about being in Kenya-anytime we ran into a christian-you couldn't talk for more than 5 min w/o them talking about God. It's great to have friends who love and trust the Lord.
How far is Ohio from MO?

Anonymous said...

Scott, congrats to you and Cheryl on the upcoming move. Just recently heard about it. After talking and dreaming about this for so long, it is good to see the door opening. Hope you are able to find more of what you've been looking for in the community down there in Marysville.

Anonymous said...

A guy by the name of Graham Cooke has a great teaching called, "Messing with the enemy's head"

Could I get a copy of that? Been a tough week for me spiritually too and this sounds like a great resource. If you got it MP3 you could just email it...

Anonymous said...

Scott--
congrats to you and Cheryl on the move. God has big things in store--i know it--and your faithfulness in pursuit of Him is admirable and will be rewarded. Praying for you both...and hopefully i'll see you sometime in the future. I have a hard time believing my "goodbye" last august was for good. Love you both. :)
-kailee
[this was a good word, by the way. thanks for letting the Lord speak through you.]

Anonymous said...

Scott, do you plan to check out Kelly's Vineyrad church when you get settled?
Deb wants to know how far Marysville is from Westerville?
Questions! questions!

Marjorie Meinzinger said...

Scott and Cheryl, It is so nice to hear how God is working in both your lives. I was encouraged also to read what you said about the battle you have had with the enemy. I have been fighting the same war on another battlefield this week. It sure is amazing how God supplies you with HIS strength. This morning I got to thinking about how true the scripture is in that verse about satan fleeing. But the key word there was resist. As soon as I resist I see the battle smoke clear and when I look at the face of the Captain I am encouraged on. I have dealt this week with fears and concerns of Mel getting ready to go to the mission and of our trip out there with her. I was worrying about the safety on the road, black widow spiders, the heat, my health, Uncle Dave's health, the cat - blah blah blah. It is interesting that none of my worry changed anything. What changed things was when I called to mind scripture and when I resisted the enemy and went on instead of the noise and storm around me. Remember when Jesus was asleep in the boat and there was a big storm and the disciples woke Him up?? What did He say to the disciples? What did He say to the storm? HMMMMMMMM. Come visit my blog too. Love to you both - Rejoicing, Aunt Margie (Marginal Errors)

Cree said...

I was google searching a particular graham cooke sermon and some how or anther your blog was a hit. I don't know you nor you I, But I can tell you that I hear ya, bro. I will certainly be lifting you in prayer and share with you that I feel much in the same position as you. May your family be deeply encouraged and trully lifted in spirit. Job 23:13-14.
May you be filled anew with His spirit and receive His favor.
Much grace and many blessings,
A sister in Christ,
Cree