Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Dramatica

I don't know about you, but I have a flair for the dramatic. Small problems in the grand scheme of things can become quite an ordeal for me a lot of times.

The stress of this past month has taken me to some amazing highs and devestating lows. Over the past few days though, I have started to realize that my issues pale in comparison to others. Now in the moment, my issues seem to hold their own seriousness, but when I look around me and see what others have to endure, I am ashamed that I even got bent out of shape at all.

Nancy wrote a ton of verses on her Blog today about the peace that God gives... about the promises He has given to us. As I read through those promises again, God really allowed me to see that all He is asking of me is to let go. There was a very simple song that I loved when I was in college called "Let Go," by a band called PFR. The chorus says:

Gotta let go of the little things, before they get you down
Gotta let go or they'll drag you to the bottom and hold you down
It's a war we all fight, and compromise is the battleground
But if you're ever gonna grow, you've got to let go

PFR -
Pray for Rain (1992)
Sometimes I guess it takes 14 years for stuff to set it in... I have to remember daily the words Christ said to the Apostles before He left them; the promise of the Holy Spirit:

... the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

John 14:26 - 27 (TNIV)


Part of letting go is allowing the Holy Spirit full access. Everything that we are. Mind, body and soul. Only then will we really experience the peace that He promises.

In the next chapter of John, Jesus explains another aspect of letting go... realizing we can't do it on our own:


I am the Vine; you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

John 15:5 (TNIV)

I'm not saying this is easy. Full devotion and having faith and hope in God's plan takes a lot. We are stubborn. We think we can do it all on our own. It reminds me of when I was about 4 years old walking on stilts. My dad was right behind me holding me up and I said, "Let go daddy I can do it on my own." About 2 steps later I was on the way to the hospital for stitches on the back of my head. When we try to make things happen on our own, inevitably we fall.

Someday all this will sink in... hopefully with as few trips to the Emergency Room as possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
It was so refreshing reading your thoughts for today, thanks for taking the time. I saw the house on Cheryl's site, and I'm so excited for you. I will be praying for a quick sale for your home here. Know that Parker and I are praying for you as you head down to Ohio. We are excited and can't wait to hear all that God is going to do through you both.
Hopefully we'll be listing our house soon, so please pray for us as well. We're looking forward to God revealing the next step in His plan for us. We love you and hope to see you before you head South.
Hugs,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Sometimes its ok to set the stilts down and let Him carry us.

NancyJane said...

Dramatica...such a good title. There is way too much of that in my life as of late. Thanks for your message on my blog. I will continue. :)Talk soon!