Monday, July 03, 2006

Oh Captain, Our Captain...

Today was a bittersweet day here in the city they call Hockeytown. At 1:05 p.m. the man who wore the "C" on his jersey for 20 years called it quits.

My love for hockey goes back to my early days when my dad took me to my first game at the old Olympia Stadium in Detroit. The decible level was almost too much for a little kid like myself to handle, but the bonding that I experienced with my father and eventually with the game of hockey will never be forgotten.

The 70's and early 80's were some horrible years for the Red Wings. A once storied franchise became known as the "Dead Wings." I can remember going to a game at Joe Louis Arena in the early days and hearing the crowd booing one of the many coaches and Hall of Fame players, Ted Lindsay. The owner, Mike Illitch, gave away cars at home games to try and persuade people back to hockey in Detroit.

In 1983, things were about to change. With the 4th pick overall the Red Wings drafted a kid out of British Columbia, Canada by the name of Steve Yzerman. No one knew then what he would become.

Coach Demers made Steve Yzerman the Captain of the Red Wings over 20 years ago. He has held that position longer than any other in the game. He played his entire career with one team and won 3 Stanley Cups.

There were a lot of tough times for Stevie. Injuries to his knees that would have kept other athletes from the game never stopped the drive he had. His desire to win and the work ethic he showed - most times on one leg - motivated his teammates to play above and beyond their potential. When Scotty Bowman came to town, he wanted to trade the Captain, but Steve adjusted his game and eventually led Detroit to it's first Stanley Cup in 42 years.

Steve Yzerman is and always will be my favorite athlete. I am not ashamed to say that I have shed tears both for joy and heartache throughout the years as a Wings fan, but the good times and memories that Stevie brought this city and the fans of the "Winged Wheel," will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thanks Steve.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Scott,
I remeber going to a Wings game with our dads when we were little. As I recall we ate too much and we too wild and you puked in my dad's station wagon. Ahh...memories.

love ya!

Heather said...

You can tell I spelled checked that right? Lets see that was supposed to be: REMEMBER
we WERE too wild

age...its catching up with me.

LOL

Anonymous said...

Are you seroius? This is the first I heard of it...well one Detroiter in Oregon is grieving the loss.

Cheryl said...

Steve made the game worth watching for sure! He is one of those guys you can tell leads by example and has the respect of his teammates and others in the league. He will definitely be missed.

Kristi Kurtz said...

He so hot too! I haved loved Stevie for a long time. And...he is so hot too!

Praying for you and your fabulous wife! Love you guys!

NancyJane said...

Hey Scott! You know that I share your heartache in this situation. He did leave us with many great memories, didn't he?! I like to hear your thoughts on things...I've been checking up on ya. :) Talk to you soon,
Nancy Gregg