Monday, June 12, 2006

World Cup

The main reasons Soccer, Football or Futbol will never catch on in the U.S. are simple:

1. No scoring

2. Flopping/Diving

I have done my best to watch World Cup matches over the weekend and even caught the US vs. Czech Republic today. The thing that infurates me in any sport is when people fake that they have been hit or injured by an opposing player.

When I played Soccer in High School, the best player on our team used to dribble the ball into the offensive zone and eventually fall to the ground and roll like he was shot by a cannon. That always bothered me. Now I know why he did it. Professional Soccer players flop and dive and roll around in pain whenever someone breathes on them. It's pathetic!

Look at this guy!! He is on the ground like he has been beaten to within an inch of his life. They eventually carry these idiots off on stretchers to the side of the field and miraculously they get back up and get back in the game.

This is the world's most popular sport... yikes.

11 comments:

Lifetime Dieter said...

Larry always had a flair for drama in high school. He probably didn't know it bugged you that much. It was Larry you were talking about right? You know, the best player on the team? he he

Hey. We missed you this Sunday. Smirk.

Scott Donnelly said...

No, Larry was not the guy I was talking about... he was a good player, but there was one person in particular who used to fall down all the time.

I missed you guys on Sunday too. ;)

Dan Jones said...

i am a soccer defender and i will say this as nicely and calmly as i possibly can: i HATE hockey for almost the exact same reasons that you seem to dislike soccer. so, i will apologize for my dislike of hockey as i recognize the similarities in these games. thank-you again for your uncommon wisdom. keep ramblin'

Scott Donnelly said...

Trust me Dan, I probably hate it worse when Hockey players do it... I just hate diving and faking injuries period.

Heather said...

Weather you like soccer, hockey, baseball or whatever it seems clear that sports enthusiasts (players or fans)are passionate people. Thanks for chuckle for my day. Hope you guys are doing well.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I love the look on that one guy's face...I'm can just hear him saying. Oh, come on!

Scott Donnelly said...

Just like Gob Bluth!

Stephanie said...

yeah, there's a lot of embelishment.
however:
1)players can get yellow carded for it if a ref thinks they're taking it too far, unlike most other sports where you can just get away with it

2)every sport has some degree of this type of "strategy"

3)the guys run around on a pitch for 90 minutes with almost no break. so i'm willing to cut 'em a little slack

Scott Donnelly said...

1). The NHL calls penalties for "unsportsmanlike conduct" for diving. No one dives in the NFL and in the NBA it depends how big of a star you are.

2). Just the idea that it's a "strategy" for some makes it even worse in my book.

Stephanie said...

no one dives in the NBA???

are we watching the same game???

Scott Donnelly said...

I never said they didn't dive... they have no penalties for diving.