Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Last Comic Standing


Let me start by saying that I am a bit of a comedy snob. It's out there, so if you can't handle that, I'm sorry.

Now, on to
Last Comic Standing...

As some of you may or may not know, I have been involved in Stand-up Comedy and may get back into it someday. That being said, I am not saying I'm an expert, but I have seen my share of good and bad comics on the open mic nights throughout the years.

Last night on the show I saw some of the most boring, played out, typical stereotype comedians deliver horrible performances. On the other hand, I also saw some amazingly hilarious performances. Doug Benson had some of the best material I have seen in a while. It was original, different and intelligent. Maybe that is why he was not chosen as one of the comics who moved on to the Finals.

When the "brain trust" at NBC chose this cast we have to assume they weren't thinking clearly. Seeing as they had that whole
Joey debacle you would think they would try to follow the logic they have used by keeping shows like My Name is Earl and the Office on the air, but obviously that is not the case.

I sat in my favorite brown leather chair with my mouth agape as that dufus from
Yes Dear read the names off. Let me go through the stereotype list for you...

We've got the Hispanic fat guy... he fills two quotas. The sassy African American woman... she has a chance, but it's still a little played out isn't it. The Strong Black Man who wants to teach all the white people how funny they are and how bad it sucks to be a Black Man in America. The cute Red Head. The angry old New York lady. The crazy New Yorker... Joey Gay, no he's not Gay, but that would have made the NBC execs jump for joy wouldn't it? A vertically challenged chick who just acts kind of crazy, kicks and moves around a lot to make us laugh... gotta' love that slapstick. A tall crazy guy who actually made me laugh. The angry pregnant lady who makes jokes about her dead beat, no good at sex husband... a reality show first as far as I can remember. Then the crowning jewel for NBC, Josh Blue (pictured). I think he is funny, but NBC is clearly exploiting him and his condition. Josh has CP and I really love that he is out there living life to the fullest, but NBC is pulling on our heart strings with this guy. I hope he wins, I really do.

Here's the problem... NBC bills this thing as a contest to find the funniest comedian. "Who is the funniest? You will decide." It's in the opening of the show! Could they be more full of crap?!? This is not a show to find the funniest comic. This is a chance for us to pick from a group of slightly funny people that NBC chose and decide which is the funniest of the slightly funny.

I for one am done watching this total piece of crap. Hopefully I am not the only one.

The good news is, I know that America will make the right choice... that picked that "Soul Patrol" guy, right? I try to forget about Dat Phan... that had to be an accounting error.

12 comments:

Dan Jones said...

i am glad to see you back at the blogging scott i really do enjoy your rants. i just want you to know 'you are all going to hell for laughing at me' was pretty funny in my opinion... so was the omelete with a hairdo blast. did you catch that one?

Scott Donnelly said...

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was very funny too. I am just saying this show is not about finding the funniest comic, it's about finding the funniest person that they allow to be on the list based on who they think will make good TV. I can almost guarantee that dude wins it... how can you vote against him? We're already in danger of hell for laughing at him, imagine if we didn't vote for him to win...

d-roc said...

I think Josh Blue should win because he actually is the funniest guy on the show. When he talked about being thrown in jail for public intoxication I laughed so hard I squeezed a fart.

Scott Donnelly said...

When I read that you farted, I almost pee'd my pants... top that!

Aaron said...

uhhhh... I think I just did.

I laughed so hard a booger shot out of my nose on to my hand. Seriously. Derek, Shawna and Casey just witnessed it.

Anonymous said...

you are one of the funniest guys I know...I miss laughing with you.

Kristi Kurtz said...

You are definitely a funny guy...and I love to read you blog. :) Always great and interesting thoughts....

Scott Donnelly said...

Thanks Kristi & Kurt! I appreciate the laughter and the kind words.

Heather said...

I haven't seen this show....interesting take on things. They control who wins from the moment they select the contestants. You know that!!

Heather said...

Just another thought....about this fellow Josh. You know I try to be a glass half full, give everyone the benefit of the doubt type of gal. Is it at all possible that the NBC folks were blown away by the fact that this guy with CP was out there doing something he likes and also funny? Sure it gave them some leverage with our heart strings too but do they have to only have a selfish reason for choosing him? Just a thought and maybe I am hopelessly optimistic.

Scott Donnelly said...

Heather,

No doubt about it, Josh is very funny. I think he is great, don't get me wrong. I just think the whole thing is fixed. He along with other peope that were chosen seem to fit into reality show "categories." I am not picking on the guy whatsoever, I think he is great and I hope he wins it.

I guess the skeptic in me chooses to believe that the NBC execs are evil people... I shouldn't do that, but TV people seem to take away or ruin shows that I love a lot.

I'll work on that.

Heather said...

Scott,

Your outlook on life--probably more a realist than I--is part of what makes you who you are! I am not suggesting you change it. I did NOT get the feeling you were picking on him in any way. No lecture was intended. You may be right those execs may be evil and wringing their hands plotting the next winner or TV show change just to annoy you (kidding) and I may be way off in La La land thinking they have good intention. I think with all the reality shows they often have a winner in mind when they select the contestants. Its good to read your blog! Have a fun day!