Monday, January 02, 2006

It's Finally Over.

After a season of hopes dashed, the Lions season comes to an end... with a loss. How appropriate.

The losing is over for now. The men in Honolulu Blue and Silver get to pack up and leave Detroit to enjoy themselves until it all starts over again next year. But this next season may not be just like all the others. Too much has happened this year. Too many bad situations to just forget it all and jump back on the
band wagon... at least I hope so.

I know one man who has had enough. One of my best friends, Chris, will not be watching the Lions again next year. During the season we talk each week a
bout the ups and the downs of the Lions. Mostly downs, but we break it down and play Monday Morning Quarterback... it's a lot of fun. Next year that is over. You see, Chris lives in Las Vegas, so he subscribed to the NFL Ticket through DirecTV to see the Lions. This horrendous season has helped him wise up and realize that paying to see the Lions is not worth it. Can you blame him?

I get to watch the Lions for free and sometimes I feel like I am paying to watch them. I don't pay with money, I pay with pain. Pain that comes from
feeling devoted to this franchise that is in so much disarray that fans would rather come to the games to make fun of the team rather than cheer for them.

Truly, I just wish people would stop coming to the games. I empathize with the players on that somewhat. If you're not there to support the team, move on. The problem is, in this town we are dying for the Lions to win. At this point, we would be happy with a Wayne Fontes season or two, eventhough he was a bigger buffoon then Morningwheg. This town needs a winner at Ford Field!

As I watched the game yesterday, my brother, Matt, asked, "Why do you even watch these guys?" I'll tell you what I told him... I watch because there is that chance that someday this team will win. When they do, all the struggle and turmoil that I watched and sometimes felt them go through will make the winning that much sweeter. I reminded him of what it felt like when we watched the Red Wings continue to lose ever year and then how sweet it was to see them lift the Stanley Cup. Either my stupidity or hope tells me to keep watching, so next season I will be back rooting for the Detroit Lions to make it to Super XLI with their MVP QB, Joey Harrington.

It could happen... a guy can dream can't he?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

i'd love to know what really goes on in that franchise.
i heard that before Garcia came to Detroit, he was in the ProBowl three times. Players only play in games like that if they're good. I mean, I'm no football expert, but I know that much. (at least... I think I do..) :)
Plus, Mooch and Garcia were w/the 49rs at the same time right? at a time when the 9rs were doing pretty well.. I think.
so why is it that they both come here and..well... kinda suck?

btw-please feel free to correct any and all misinformation :) like i said.. i'm no expert.

Scott Donnelly said...

Garcia was most definitely in the Pro Bowl a number of times when he played with the 49er's. Garcia and the Mooch both worked together there as well. They had some good years but also had a real bad year. Overall, good.

The problem with Garcia, is that he has never had a good arm. He can't get the ball down the field. Last year he played for Cleveland and it was evident that Father Time had caught up with him.

Mooch wanted "his guy" though, so he brought in Garcia against Matt Millen's wishes, because they had success together in San Francisco.

Mooch came here and had no idea what he was in for. The teams he had in San Fran were had veteran players who had won before. Detroit has some veterans, but none of them know what success in the NFL is like. This team has lost for decades.

Mooch just had no idea that he would have to come in here and "start crackin' skulls." That is the only way you can get these guys to win... they need a good kick in the can.

Stephanie said...

ah... that makes sense. it's all so clear now. :)
you think that sometimes a franchise gets to the point that the only thing that will work is to "clean house" and start over? maybe that's what the lions need. a clean slate.

well... not totally clean. i think they should keep harrington. he reminds me of mike eurizone (sp?) from the 1980 US hockey team. though his skill level wasn't as high as some of the others, he was a natural leader. he was the heart of that team. i think harrington has the same potential. he seems to have the qualities of a good leader. whether they've been or are being cultivated.. i don't know.

The Hoveys said...

OK, the Lions. I guess I'll jump in on this one because, well, I love em' and suffer through with the rest of you year after year also. Joey is a class act, but he plays in a sport where that is not common, and by Tony Siragusa standards, a bad thing. Of course, Tony had a mullet well past the 80's and thought he was a class act. The Lions don't need to clean house...they need to clean identity. They have been labeled as hopeless losers since Barry retired and everyone has just started to believe it...even the Fords I think. Change uniforms, change the team name, change coaches, players, cheerleaders (well, maybe not them) or change cities, but the Lions won't be ready for a playoff game until they change their minds about their place in the league. I gotta stop before I start to cry again...oh wait, just in case Tony Siragusa stumbles onto this, before I start to play the piano.

Scott Donnelly said...

Very well spoken Mr. Hovey!

Why would the Lions want to hold onto a guy who doesn't call his teamates out in the media (Dre Bly), smoke weed (Charles Rogers) or whine about everything in the media (Jeff Garcia).

When you look at all those horrible qualities, you can see why we want him out of this town. He makes the Mayor look bad (not very hard). He shows up and practices (Mike Williams), has never held out (Kevin Jones, etc.) and tries to stay positive (Dre Bly, Jeff Garcia, Dominic Raiola, etc.).

What a horrible player.

...and on the loser front. I agree, why clean house when all you have to do is have some integrity and work ethic. That is what this team needs. You could bring every free agent in the league in here and it is not going to turn this thing around.

You know why the Pistons were able to bring in Rasheed Wallace (known trouble maker)? Because the organization had a firm foundation built on integrity and work ethic... dare I say a "team."

So the next coach better be someone who values people with values and a good work ethic or we're in for another Lions season of misery.

Anonymous said...

I love all the pics on your blog! It looks like a fricken website...nice work man