Thursday, December 22, 2005

We Are Family

When I was a kid, I hated visiting relatives. There were exceptions, but when it came to traveling to or spending time with the adult relatives, you could count on me being bored out of my mind.

In 5th grade, we went to Scotland to visit my Uncle Matthew & Aunt Ellen. I have no real memories of that trip and it really bugs me. The main thing I remember is being bored and driving around the country in my Uncles mini-van complaining about how long we had to drive. That is sad. If I only knew then what I know now. If I could transport the 33 year old Scott back into the mind of 5th grader, I would get to enjoy all the breath-taking scenery. But alas that is impossible.

My dad is a bit of a home-body and is very content to just be in his surroundings and I think a bit of that obviously rubbed off on me. There is nothing wrong with that, but we have never been the type of people to take off and visit relatives on a real consistent basis. Cheryl's dad and her brother, Jim, both live about 45 minutes to an hour away from us and even that seems like too far sometimes. How ridiculous is that? For my family everything was close... School about 5 minutes away. Dad's job 5 minutes away. Church, maybe 7 - 10 minutes, tops. Even now, my brother and his wife are literally a mile away and mom & dad are maybe 2 miles.

The thing is, the older I get, the more I love seeing family. My Uncle Gary, Aunt Jeanne and my cousin, Wendy were all here last night and we had a great time. It's just fun to be around them. I used to dread it sometimes as a kid, but now I wish we saw them more often. I always think about visiting them, but I get that feeling like my family that lives far away might think, "Oh, now he wants to visit." That of course is stupid, but it really goes through your head.

There have been many times where I thought about visiting my uncles in Texas and Indiana, but I feel like I would be imposing on them. Like, "Where have you been for the last 15 years?" I guess it is just another one of those things that Satan puts in your head to stop you from enjoying something special that God gave you.

The first visit may be weird, but they will get better and better. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. My trip with Aaron across the country this fall taught me that. I did things and met people that normally I wouldn't have.

So before everyone starts making New Years Resolutions, take a moment and think about some of those lies that have stopped you from experiencing something great that God has put in your life.

5 comments:

d-roc said...

I have the same feelings about my family. After my mom passed away, the family just seemed to drift apart. I don't see any of my aunts or uncles. They only live about twenty minutes away.

Anonymous said...

Scott -- Go to Texas! Go to Indiana (well, OK, but go to Texas first)! I'm sure your uncles will be happy to see you.

When I was working in Texas and getting bored with it, I used a travel voucher and went and visited my aunt and uncle in South Carolina. They used to live in Michigan, and I hadn't seen them in about 10 years. I went and they were thrilled to see me. Had a great time and they want to know when I'll be back. Uncle has cancer now so I should make the return trip soon.

The Las Vegas / LA / KC / Ohio roadtrip has liberated you now. Go forth and experience!

Steve W.

Faithful Joy said...

I know the feeling of getting older and needing family bonding more. I am way more into my aunts and uncles now than I ever was growing up. Especially now that I am planning to move overseas, every minute I spend with my family and friends making memories is priceless.

Scott Donnelly said...

D... Go see them, life is too short.

Steve. Thanks man, I think I will try to start doing those things more often!

FJ - thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention.. Hope you endured all. We were happy to see the Michigan folks, even tho' the long car trip. We believe family is important too.