Monday, November 14, 2005

Day 20 & 21: Marysville and HOME!

Friday night into Saturday morning in Marysville was amazing. We went out to Smokey Bones for Drew's 12th Birthday and then headed over to Derek and Casey's to hang out and have a little worship service. Smokey Bones was really good. I have never been a huge BBQ fan, but now that I have had some good stuff on this trip, I have to say I love it.

We eventually walked across the street from Dave and Kelly's house to Derek and Casey's house and then Aaron busted out his guitar, Derek got on the hand drums and Donovan (Kelly's bro) played bass. We just started singing worship songs and praising the Lord for all that He has done and is doing in our lives. It was so refreshing. We prayed for one another and thanked God for everything He gives us. When Aaron broke a string about 3 hours later, we just laughed and talked together while Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, played in the background. We all laughed really hard at the sketch where Triumph goes to heckle the people waiting in line days before the premier of one of the Star Wars prequels. Classic. We ordered some Donato's and laughed some more until it was about 3 a.m. Then we headed back to Dave and Kelly's and laughed until about 5 a.m.

Around about that time, Aaron asked me if I would be bummed out if he stayed and Derek drove him back to Detroit later on Saturday. No offense to Aaron, but I could hardly contain myself! I wanted to hop in the car and leave that second... but I slept for a couple hours and darted off toward Detroit.

I never thought I would be so happy to see Michigan. When I saw the sign I let out this scream that sounded a lot like Howard Dean and had a smile from ear to ear. When I saw the city limit sign on 75 for Allen Park, I kid you not, a tear came to my eye. I was telling our pastor that yesterday and he said, "When I think about going Downriver I cry too." No respect for Allen Park, I swear.

Obviously the best moment was pulling up to the house and seeing Cheryl and Bailey standing in the door to greet me. Bailey did a double take like, "Is that really him?" Then as I got closer he crouched down and began to shake his hind end like crazy and jumped all over me as I came through the door. It was amazing to see how big he got while I was away. Then Cheryl and I embraced and held on to each other like we might never let go.

It's great to be home again. I missed my family. I missed my dog. I missed my bed and my own bathroom. I missed a lot of things. The great thing about this trip - there are many great things - is that it really made me appreciate all that I have. It made me realize that home sweet home really is sweet. I have become wiser and God has shown me so much.

I want to thank all the people who prayed for us. God's protection was over all of us and He revealed Himself in so many ways along our journey. I want to thank my family for all their love and support, Jim and Phiona, thanks for the text messages and phone calls to say "Hi." Matt and Sarah, thank you for caring for Bailey. Mom and Dad thanks for helping out and doing some odd jobs around the house when you got bored (retirement is great, isn't it Dad?).

I also want to thank Cheryl, the most precious gift God has given me in my life. She allowed her husband to head out on the open road for 3 weeks. She let me live a dream of mine. I am forever grateful. She's so amazing and encourages me to go after the desires that God has formed in me. We are so in love. Thank you Cheryl.

Finally, thank you God. Your love is amazing. Your beauty is matchless. Thank You for adventure and the thrill of seeing how beautiful this world You created is. Thank You for safety and protection along this journey. Thank You for all that you revealed through the Holy Spirit. Thanks for all the new friends and friendships strengthened. Thank You for the Cross and the cleansing power of Your blood.

Selah.

5 comments:

Leaning on Him said...

ramblin' man,
it has been a pleasure joining you on your journey via blogging. and i look forward to seeing and meeting you again at crosswinds sometime. you are truly blessed. welcome home

Heather said...

Scott,

I was so touched but how you felt about returning home. I love to get away. But there is nothing like coming home. I am sure the arrival at our real home, in heaven, will be even greater!! Can you just imagine??!!

And just one more thing, Allen Park will always have a place in my heart. Too many years growing up in a place with good memories.

Faithful Joy said...

Scott,
It was such an honor to finally get to meet you. Swanger has brought so many blessings into our Ohioan lives by way of new friends! Thanks you for including us in your trip! I hope you Ohio experience was better this time!

God bless you!
Shawna

Anonymous said...

Wish I could say "welcome home..." but again Iam glad your trip went well and that you're safe. I would like you to post how much money you spent on gas for the trip.

Scott Donnelly said...

Ginny... Loved the trip and the sharing, thanks for reading!

Leaner... Can't wait to meet up at Crosswinds again. Love that everyone read about what we experienced.

Heather... Home is AWESOME! Word up to AP!!

FJ... the honor was all mine. Thanks for staying up late!! I saw an Ohio plate today and almost beeped at them just for fun... GO BLUE!!

Kurt... Glad to hear you are doing well... glad to be home. Next time, I will be visiting Oregon!! The Gas was not that bad. Pretty cheap honestly... no actual tally for you though... sorry.