Friday, October 28, 2005

Flaws...

Fatigue brings out the worst in me.

When I am tired, I am very impatient. The smallest thing will send me over the edge. I have become a lot better at not completely losing it when frustration boils over, but there is definitely a change in my demeanor.

This is another case of not living in the Spirit. When we live in the Spirit we bear the Fruit of the Spirit. Guess what? Patience is one of them. I could pat myself on the back and say, "Well, at least I didn't blow up, I had patience." Did I really? Was the patience flowing out of me naturally or did I have to struggle just to muster it up? The reality is, while outwardly I am sort of patient looking, it was not really Spirit led. I relied on my own will to make it happen.

So what's the big deal? That's how we get better at something right? We work on gaining control of it. We gradually get better at the thing we are lacking in.

I have a different opinion...

When we become followers of Jesus Christ, we are given His Holy Spirit. He lives inside of us. Now let me stop for a minute and really drive that point home. The loving, patient and perfect Spirit of God lives in us. Think about that for a moment. You have a Spirit in you that can help you be patient. He can help you be kind. He can help you speak the truth. He can reveal God's word to you. He is your personal tour guide for this thing we call life.

Are you excited yet?!? You should be. The problem as I see it is that we do not give ourselves to Him to be led by Him. We rely on ourselves. "I can learn to be patient on my own..." Can you? I beg to differ. Only when we say, "God, I can't do this on my own. I give up. I give myself to you to be led by Your Holy Spirit. Let my actions and most of all, reactions be Yours," can we truly be patient. You have to let go in order to be led by the Spirit. As Aaron said to me one time, "God is going to knock on the door but He is not going to knock it down." You have to let Him in. Let Him fill you and take over the controls.

Now I know that some people will think this is a little to extreme, but is it really? Is it extreme because we all want control and to think about losing it is very scarey to us? I would just point to the life Christ lived on this earth. He was always in contact with the Father. He never did anything without the Father(John 5:19). He was always led by Him and did what the Father was doing.

Jesus said in John 15:5 (TNIV) "I am the Vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from Me, you can do nothing."

I think that says it all. Remain in Him today.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Another thing I learned in a Bible Study on the Fruit of the Spirit is that "patience is void of judgement." I am generally known as a very patient person, but I will admit that my patience is not always void of judgement. Only God's perfect patience is that way.

Love you sweetie. XOX

Heather said...

Liked your insight Scott. Patience is something I really struggle with and want so, so much. That and the illusion that I am in control. But God has shown me that I am NOT in control, never was, never will be...and you know what? That's ok. But it took a long time to get there. I have also found that God has given me or allowed for experiences in my life that have developed patience in me. But, I still have a long way to go...

Anonymous said...

Dude I am so jealous of you right now. New Mexico is awesome. Thankfully I'll be in Arizona next weekend seeing a little bit of what you saw today.

Glad Scott Peterson posted your blogsite in the Relevant newsletter. Have to work 2nd shift Saturday, so I'm at in downtown KC this Friday night catching up on e-mail at an internet cafe. Yesterday at work my laptop's hard drive bit the dust big time. Non recoverable!

I'm still wrestling with the patience thing. How does God work it into us? Yes I know it's a fruit of the Spirit, but how does that look? Long ago I learned to NEVER ask anyone to pray for patience for me, because I would inevitably be BOMBARDED with situations that went way past my level of patience. So does the Spirit "build up" our tolerance to stupid things and people, or does He somehow override our impatience and give us something we don't have to use with those people and situations?

Whatever the case, I don't have enough, but am afraid to ask for more.

Careful around those slots!

Anonymous said...

Just a note of encouragement - I am reading and inspired by your journey and words. Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

As I just learned at a conference a week ago..if we continually lay ourselves at the altar as a LIVING sacrifice emptied of ourselves...asking HIM to fill us up, to renew our minds, our wrong thinking (I know I have 30+ years of wrong thinking) and renew our hearts...He is so faithful, and He does change us one day at a time,from "glory to glory"...
2 Corinthians 3:17-19 Now, the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, HE gives freedom. 18And all of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect[a] the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him and reflect His glory even more.

I am so happy for you, taking this trip. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Smiles to ya-Stacey