Friday, August 12, 2005

Only in My Dreams

O.K. This one may sound a little strange to some of you, but here I go.

When I actually remember my dreams, they are always something horrible. Seriously, I never remember the good stuff. Nothing with me flying or having fun, only horribly uncomfortable situations.

The worst part about these dreams is that they are so real. I wake up and feel like it has all really taken place. Sometimes I will literally wake up crying because of the things that happen in my dreams. Now, before we carry me away in a straight jacket, these dreams are not frequent. But when they do happen they really throw me for a loop.

Last night I had such a dream. Usually the theme has to do with losing Cheryl. Somehow our realtionship falls apart and I end up losing her. It devestates me. Like I said, it feels real.

Here's the thing, I really believe this to be another tactic of the Enemy to try to destroy me, to shake my faith. I have to say, that until recently, I would have never bought into all this spiritual warfare stuff. I always thought it was a nice way for people to blame all their problems on someone other than themselves. The question is, how can we deny that Satan will attack and use any means necessary to take us down? If he lurks around looking for ways to destroy us, why not try our dreams?


Ephesians 6:12 says:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.


This chapter in Ephesians sets up something all of us need to do daily. A woman I met this year encouraged me to put on my armor. To literally pray this scripture every night before my head hits the pillow and every morning before my feet hit the floor.

14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

I have gotten away from this over the past couple months. My life is a battle. I need my armor to make it through the day.

The truth must hold things together for me. I am righteous in God's sight because of the work Christ did on the cross. The breastplate covers my heart, my soul and all of my vitality from the lies of Satan that claim I am not righteous in God's sight. My feet must be firmly planted in Christ. And while Satan throws all he can at me to destroy me, my faith in Christ protects me. Salvation given to us through Christ protects our minds, our thoughts.

The best part of all this is the Sword. It is the only offensive weapon we have. Jesus used it while being tempted in the wilderness. So can we. Not only that, we can hear His voice! We have the Holy Spirit. He guides us and helps us as we listen for His voice.

So put on your armor and dream away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes our dreams have no connection with Satan, rather some childhood fears that surface later in life. I think you should pray about a fear inside of you about losing Cheral, something so dear to you. Think about your past, when was a moment you lost something dear to you?