Monday, December 15, 2008

America... Where Art Thou?

Where is the love for this country?

When did we become so jaded and concerned only with ourselves?

The events that are unfolding in Michigan over the past few weeks and the action taken by Washington to bail out failing banks and Wall Street, have made me think long and hard about my country.

As I talk with friends from around the country, including Michigan, I am surprised to here the utter disgust and hatred for the Big 3 in Detroit. I am biased, there is no doubt about that. I grew up and benefitted greatly from Ford Motor Company. My father, David, worked at Ford for 40 years. He worked hard and provided for his family. Except for his early years there, I don't think my father was part of the UAW. Regardless, he worked very hard all of his life inside of factories and office buildings for Ford Motor Company.

My heart hurts for Detroit. I will always love the city and suburbs of that town. I realize that many bad decisions were made and that greed and resting on laurels contributed to the state that the Auto Companies are in. The UAW has to wake up to the present day America in which we live. No one is entitled to anything anymore, the global economy won't allow it. The CEO's and executives at all levels need to make sacrifices for the benefit of everyone, not just themselves, but is there no love for America?

Why do we have no regard for America any longer? Why don't we cheer for and hope for all things American? Are we just out for the best deal we can get? Many would say yes. Are we ready to turn over all manufacturing of goods to foreign countries? I would say we pretty much have.

"But Scott, Honda, Toyota, BMW & Mercedes all build cars right here in the United States." True, they do, but do they have America's best interests in mind? Are they proud to be an American... oops they can't be. Do they look for ways to make this country better? Maybe, but at the heart of those companies, there beats a foreign interest. An interest to benefit from our economy.

Does anyone think that if the United States were to fall into economic disaster that these companies might not decide they should take there ball and go home? They have no allegiance to us. They are just here using us and our money to benefit themselves... just like we use India and China to benefit all of our consumeristic desires.

You know, I watch the West Wing in reruns on Bravo, and I see a White House that loves this country. It's fictional, I know, but I am moved by the duty they feel for America. I am inspired by their love of country and desire to see the best for all Americans. I applaud their willingness to fight for what is right.

There are voices out there that still cry out and take pride in America. People who love this country and want what is best for her. They are becoming fewer...

We find ourselves in a time where there hasn't been much to be proud of as an American. The past few years have created a lot of animosity and division among us, but we need to find that place inside of us that has pride and hopes for a greater America. Look deep inside yourself and find something, anything that makes you remember the freedom and liberty you have in the United States.

Tough times are ahead... tough decisions must be made, but my hope is that someday, somehow, we might again be proud to be Americans again.

No comments: