Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Missed My Calling

Maybe I should have been a computer nerd...

Today at 1:00 p.m. an installer came to my door to take me from the pathetic world of DSL to the super speed highway of a cable modem. "This should just take a few minutes," were the cursed words that came from his mouth. I thought about all those times when I was working at Franklin Covey and we would say, "It's been pretty slow today," only to be bum rushed by a billion FoMoCo idiots.

By 4:00 p.m. the technician and even the "level 3" tech support couldn't figure out what was going on... of course, they blamed my Mac. They told me to call tomorrow and have a "Mac Guy" come out to help me. All they did was complain about how hard it is "to work with these Macs." Are these guys kidding me? Mac is the definition of "user friendly" (I feel like I am using way too many "qoutes"...). If I can find my way around Steve Jobs' lame rip off of a Mac OS, then how are these "technicians" unable to understand my Mac?

After the two guys left - yes, another guy came over to help - I went upstairs to clear my head, then came back down and sat down in front of the cable modem, wireless router and my Mac and (I still don't know how) within ten minutes had everything up and running perfectly (evidenced by this Blogging).

I have never thought of myself as a computer geek (we'll leave that to Geekbert), but somehow I always play around until I figure it out. Don't ask me how I do it... the steps escape me, but it gets done.

Let's hope the VoIP is a self install.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

All the quotes are reminding me of that Chris Farley character from SNL where he does all the air quotes.

Anonymous said...

This happens almost every time we have a "cable guy" come to set something up. Larry usually ends up teaching the "guy" how to do because that's just how he "is".

Heather said...

Congrats. I bet that was frustrating but glad its up and running and you are able to blog about it.

Casey said...

When the cable guy came to our house to hook up our internet he had to go accross the street and climb a pole for some reason. I don't know, but Ethan looked out the window, pointed and said "Mad-Man!" That's what my Dad calls the boys when they are acting crazy.

Geekbert said...

Why does that always happen?! Your story sounds exactly like when we first got a cable modem. That was back in 2001. Six years and the still an issue. Amazing! I just turned everything off (Mac, Modem, Router) and restarted. VoilĂ !

Friend, you ARE a geek. Wear it as a badge of honor!