Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Accord-ingly.

Forgive me father's for I have sinned...

Growing up in a Ford family and marrying a girl from a Ford family, made me feel like a sinner today.

After our Wal Mart fiasco the Sunday, we ended up getting everything squared away and were given the number to our local Enterprise Rental Car. We were supplied with a vehicle while our Ford Taurus was in the shop. When I called to confirm pickup this morning, I asked what type of vehicle we would end up with... the gentleman on the phone told me there was an 80% chance we would end up with a Honda Accord.

Cheryl and I headed out this morning to pick up her rental so she could head off to work. I Google Mapped the Enterprise and we set out. I knew right where I thought it would be, but I never recalled seeing an Enterprise in that area before. As we drove down the street to where it was supposed to be, all I saw was a Honda dealership.

We ended up in the middle of enemy territory (as if living in Buckeye country was not enough). Growing up in Motown, we were taught to despise "foreign" cars. They were what was wrong with America and here we were in the belly of the beast about to drive away in one of it's evil machines.

Cheryl went in and signed the paperwork while I waited in my "American" vehicle. Safe. Secure. Proud... and slightly envious of all the new cars around me.

As Cheryl came out to her shiny red Accord, I rolled down my window and warned her not to fall for this little Honda... it would tear our families to pieces (not really, but it sounds pretty dramatic, right?).

I'll admit, when Cheryl got home from work today, I rushed out to see this little import. I took it for a spin and kicked the tires. I can tell you this, it ain't made for the rotund individual to fit comfortably into. Nice, but not the most amazing thing I have ever been in. I could feel myself repeating my Dad's mantra, "Probably not as nice as a Fusion... Wait until you see that new Edge, that thing is amazing." Still loyal, just like Dad. Can't help it.

Our little adventure with Honda will be over on Friday... until then, we'll just have grin and bear it.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Well just get out of that as fast as possible!! Danger pure and simple. Sandor goes nuts when he sees neighbors who he knows work for Ford or GM with IMPORTS in the drive. What is this world coming to????

d-roc said...

It's not an import when it's made in your own backyard and is the reason for growth in your own town. Be glad that in a year or two, you won't have to go to Columbus for everything.

GodSide said...

As the old bumper sticker goes; "Buy American or BYE America." Its tough living out here, in Michigan when you pulled into a parking lot it was an 8:2 ratio; for every 8 US cars there were 2 foreign. Out here its flipped; 2:8. Sad. When I listen to the news and hear of all the buyouts and Chrysler getting sold...I know that means the people in my hometown are hurting.