Friday, May 11, 2007

Cell Phone Play by Play


So the NHL brain trust has done it again.

Depending on who your cable carrier in my old home town of Detroit happens to be, you either got to watch the Wings take on the Ducks in the Western Conference Finals or had to call me for updates or play by play of the game.

My Dad and Brother had to get updates and play by play via our Verizon phones!

Another amazing move by Gary Bettman.

I wonder how that conversation went...

Gary Bettman: Okay guys. I have a great idea. Since we screwed up our deal with ESPN and ABC and are fresh off a lockout, I have a brand new plan. We could be on the Outdoor Life Network!
Lackey #1: Outdoor Life Network?
Lackey #2: Yeah, great idea Boss!
Bettman: Yes! They will change the name next year to Versus! They have all sorts of cool programming that our audience will love too. Bull riding and rodeos, fishing and hunting and kickboxing! What a combination!
Lackey #1: I don't get.
Bettman: No most cable and satellite providers don't even carry it yet, but that will change. We're the number 4 sport in the US, people will demand it.
Lackey #2: Actually sir, NASCAR is ahead of us now...
Lackey # 1: ... and Soccer is actually gaining ground.
Bettman: No matter, the NHL and Versus will catapult us to number one in no time.

Add to that nonsense that after the first two rounds of the playoffs your local station loses it's rights to broadcast their home team. In Detroit that means no Mickey Redmond!

Why do I continue to watch? I guess I'm a Red Wing fan for life... no matter how bad that moron Betmann screws things up.

No comments: