Monday, August 21, 2006

Let's Go Krogering

I seem to have a lot of weird experiences in the grocery store.

One of Cheryl's favorite stories that makes her laugh and laugh has to do with one of my misadventures in a local Meijer back in Michigan.

A new Meijer store had been built near us and I decided to go grocery shopping. I walked in and was amazed that the store was so empty. I really lucked out and missed the rush or so I thought. With my cart full of all sorts of Meijer bargains a employee of the store comes up to me with a very weird look on her face and says, "Excuse me sir. What are you doing?"

What a strange question I thought and answered back, "Shopping (duh)."

Then the horridly embarrassing part... she responeded by saying, "We're not open yet."
Cheryl loves that one...

Well, this one may not be as good as that, but this morning I added to my odd experiences in the grocery store.
I headed off to Kroger for our first big grocery purchase for the new house. Time to stock the fridge and freezer. Loading up on cleaning supplies and all the things we'll end up needing as time moves along.

By the way, I hate grocery shopping, it ranks a close second behind cutting the grass. Too many choices and screaming kids. My brain becomes overloaded with the decisions I have to make. Trying to figure out what brand gives us the most savings, how much we really need, will we ever eat the salad before it goes bad?


So when I headed out this morning I had prepared myself for a larger than usual shopping experience. I went up and down the aisles picking up everything we needed and planning out our menu for the next week or so. As I headed down the last row of food and got ready to checkout a horrible feeling came over me. I had no way to pay. No cash, no cards, no checks... nothing. Over an hour and a half shopping and no way to purchase a giant cart full of merchandise.


I think Forrest Gump said it best... for me grocery shopping is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna' get.

10 comments:

Lifetime Dieter said...

I feel your pain brother.

Scott Donnelly said...

I hope that doesn't mean you have done the same thing... I am just imagining you with the kids in tow and that happening. What a nightmare.

Heather said...

I just want to know how the story ends?? What did you do?? Where they gracious and tucked all your stuff safely aside while you went home to get the cash? What???

I have had some odd experiences in the grocery store---could it be becuase I spend so much time there?? In fact when WE lived in Ohio Jacob knew the Kroger ladies by name AND would run up to them and hug them as soon as we came in the door!! I have pictures of them!!

I hope your story ended well.

Scott Donnelly said...

I hate to say what happened...

I had no way of getting money at all. Cheryl had the checkbook and my ATM card was eaten back in Detroit. The new one came last night a few hours after I got home from the Kroger debacle.

Cheryl and I went back and the cart was still sitting exactly where I left it... I was embarrased. I didn't take it again, beacuase there was so much stuff that would have gone bad without being refrigerated. The whole time we were shopping, some poor girl was putting all the stuff back... I felt like an idiot.

Heather said...

I can totally understand not wanting to take the cart back--with food that would have gone bad and all. BUT why, WHY, I must ask...did you not ask them to keep it in the cart for you? Usually they have a huge frige/freezer they can just push the whole cart in and keep everything fresh for you. Obviously this has happened to me!! Just a tip for next time then you don't have to redo the shopping part of the experience.

Take care!!

Lifetime Dieter said...

No. It was even better. I was 8 months pregnant, had two kids with me and my ATM card was declined.

d-roc said...

This just happened to me at Java Town. I had the girl make me a mocha. She sat it down in front of me after about two minutes of making the stupid thing. I laid my card down on the counter and she said, "We don't accept those!" I said sorry and walked out. The worse part was I didn't even get my coffee.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you get this many comments from writing about frickin grocery shopping...people love The Ramblin Scotzman

Sarah said...

Hey, Scotzman! I've abandoned merchandise a time or two myself. I wonder if there are statistics on this sort of thing. Hmmm... the real question is did this help you to feel at home in Ohio?

Kristi Kurtz said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I appreciate it! Praying for you and Cheryl.