Monday, November 21, 2005

Flippin' Tables

This is a rant. You have been warned.

--------------------------------------------

Larry (of the Daily Castle), an old friend from High School sent a link on to me about an accessory for the iPod Shuffle.

I'm sure that Larry had no idea how disgusted I would be by this thing. This whole thing might be fake, but one of my biggest hot buttons is that I am really critical of things done in Jesus' name. I am amazed at what people "market" in the name of the Almighty.

For instance if you check out the link to this piece of crap, you will see that their amazing marketing says, and I quote, "Just toss your old cap habit, pop on the divine iBelieve and rejoice!"

Divine?!? They even have a verse listed in the top right corner... "But now bring me a man who plays music, and when the man played music, the groove came upon them." That amazing scripture is found according to the site in 2 Jobs 3:15... Pathetic.

I have talked about walking into a "Christian" Bookstore one day and flippin' tables and cracking the whip a few times... I know they are not the Temple, but they are literally prostituting the name of Christ. I will save my Christian Radio experiences for another day...

I worked for a "Christian" Bookstore back in the day, and the things that we would sell just infuriated me. We had "Testamints" for fresh breath, a beautiful unisex fragrance called, "Shalom" and of course my favorite, "Scripture Cookies" in place of the dreaded Fortune Cookies. On top of that, just add on the next big book that everyone has to read or the latest craze in the "World" that we decide to knock off and maybe you can see where I am coming from.

What's even better is you can now get most of this stuff right inside your church. Just walk right into the "Resource Center" and plop down your cash for the latest craze. Then you can go read your new book or play with your iBelieve while you sip on your Frappuccino in the Higher Grounds Cafe (or just insert another clever name like, "He-Brews Cafe") while watching the pastor's "talk" on one of the many plasma screens available for your viewing pleasure.

Obviously, I need some prayer before I let go of this one, but let's be more careful about what we do in the name of our God. He deserves much better.

4 comments:

Larry Castle said...

AAAAAAAMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

Rant on, Scotzman!

Steve W.

Faithful Joy said...

For real, man. I have been known to rant a little myself. Why do I need a journal, calendar, and bracelet to go with every Christian book I read? It's more than excessive. And why am I supposed to pay $20 for CD's at a Christian bookstore when I can get the same at Best Buy for $12.99?

I did hear something the other day that gave me hope. Rick Warren of the "Purpose Driven" craze just donated the equivalent of his past two year's pastor's salary back to his church. Thank God someone has their head on straight. Wonder if if B. Wilkerson can say the same?

Shawna

Scott Donnelly said...

Nice to see ya'll got my back on this one!