Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Day 16: Arizona, Utah & Denver

So we headed out a little late yesterday... but we saw some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen while heading to our first stop on the trek home, Denver.

Going through Nevada to Arizona was very nice, but it does not prepare you for what you are going to see as you go through Utah. It is by far one of the most beautiful places on earth (granted I have only seen parts of America, Canada, Scotland and South Africa).


The mountain formations and colors as well as the enormity of them literally takes your breath away. I only wish my beautiful wife was with me to enjoy it. I felt an awesome responsibility to praise God in that time. He is such an amazing artist. Look no further than the ones you love to see that.

We were listening to worship music in the "shuffle" mode on my iPod and just as we hit the most amazing parts of Utah, an instrumental version of Holy, Holy, Holy came on. I had just prayed moments earlier that God would play what we needed to hear. I didn't even know I had an instrumental version of that on my iPod... The line that blows me away after what I have seen on this trip is, All Thy works shall praise Thy Name in earth and sky and sea... Nothing could be more true!

As we headed toward the outskirts of Utah, the sun began to set and darkness came over the mountains. Once we made it into Colorado I finally relenquished driving to Aaron. I have a huge control issue with driving. I don't trust a lot of people with my life. Plus, there are a lot of bad drivers out there, you know who you are. In November arorund 5 years ago I let someone else drive (against my better judgment) and ended up in the worst car accident of my life. Cheryl ended up with stitches but the rest of us escaped by God's grace with minimal injuries. Trust me though, it was a horrific accident, God had His hands around us. All that being said, we headed from Grand Junction, Colorado to Denver at around 8:30 p.m. The roads on the way to Denver are anything but a straight shot. They twist and turn, go up and down and are generally a pain in the neck. It was totally dark too, so we couldn't even see the mountains.

We arrived to our hotel at 1:00 a.m. after starting our journey at 10:00 a.m. from Las Vegas, Nevada. We had to stop a few times and we gained an hour as we entered Mountain Time, so total we drove 14 hours yesterday. Today we will gain another hour as we head to Kansas City, but we are shooting for a modest 10 hour trip today.

Keep us in your prayers, I know you have been, so thanks.

I'm counting the days again Sunshine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy reading your perspective on God's wondrous creation. Wendy will be home for the Holidays, so maybe we can squeeze in a trip. I hope so. Is Mom watching Bailey?Good news! I will be able to get my Bachelor's degree in spring, 2006. Yippee. see you soon, Aunt Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I still remember that accident...looking back from our car...

Again, words can never express how sorry I am for those memories (you too Cheryl)...it's a horrible memory of my 30th birthday...

Praise God He makes all things NEW!

Love you & Cheryl so much!

Heather said...

Scott, I loved your thoughts on God's handiwork. I remember learning the song Holy, Holy, Holy back in second grade at IC. I still remember the words but LOVE that song for its truth. He IS so holy! Thanks too for your comments about seeing God's handiwork in those we love. I forget to do that sometimes. But I see it most in Sarah.
Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Did you see the Wings game last night??
Heather

Scott Donnelly said...

Aunt Jeanne, I hope we can see you guys, Cheryl and I would love it!!

Stacey, not your fault. I release you from every thinking that again... by the way, that must mean your Birthday is soon or has passed... Happy Birthday. You and I need to talk soon. I have been thinking about you a lot.

Heather, promise me our clans can hook up soon. We must figure out a way to do it soon. By the way, my email has not been working right on the trip so I was not able to get you the email you requested. I will send it when I get back. I will be watching said Wings game when I return home.