Tuesday, September 06, 2005

With the First Pick...

I am finally back.

So where was I? Let me just tell you that these past two weeks have been a frenzy. What could possibly have stopped me from Blogging all my hopes and dreams for everyone to enjoy?

Fantasy Football.

Yes, Fantasy Football. I am a Fantasy Football Geek. I have five teams this year! So this week I had five drafts and had to prepare... even I think this sounds crazy.

If you have never played Fantasy Football before, let me try and explain it. The basic idea is that you pick players from NFL teams to form your very own "fantasy" team. Usually you have a Quarterback, two Running Backs, three Wide Receivers, a Tight End, a Team Defense and a Kicker. Each Sunday and Monday Night your players (hopefully) score points for your fantasy team. You play against another fantasy team in your league and whoever scores the most points wins that week.

When you think about it, whoever created it had to be a marketing genius. When you have a fantasy team, not only are you following your home team (the sad, sad Lions) but you are now watching other teams that have your players on them.

Many people have strong opinions about Fantasy Football. You love it and totally get it or you think it is a stupid waste of time. Let me explain why I enjoy it. First off, football is fun to watch. I love the NFL. There is nothing better than sitting down on a beautiful fall afternoon and watching grown men pummel one another.

The thing about Fantasy Football is that it brings you together with other people that love football just like you. On top of that, it keeps me in touch with people that I would not normally see on a regular basis.

Yesterday, I had a draft with a group of guys that I only see maybe two or three times a year. They are a lot of fun and this is one of the times that I know I will always get a chance to see them. I have a church league and a league that keeps me in contact with one of my oldest friends in South Carolina. To me, there is just a camaraderie that comes from it. It gives you an opportunity to meet and be in the lives of people that you might not ordinarily come in contact with.

For me, that makes it all worth it.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I still have a problem with one thing. Since you have five fantasy teams, if you have a wide receiver on one of your teams, and another of your teams is playing against that same wide receiver, do you want him to catch the ball or not?

Lifetime Dieter said...

Larry just joined a fantasy league this year. He doesn't even know the name of one football player. He just joined to be with the guys. He may be contacting you to manage his team. :)

Anonymous said...

I know Cheryl usually acts as your "spellchecker" but how about "camaraderie" instead. I want you to know I am reading your stuff. Aunt Jeanne

Scott Donnelly said...

First off, lovely wife o' mine, the answer to your wise cracking question is... as long as I get more points in the end on both teams, let him catch it.

Julie, have Larry email me any questions he might have... like I said, I love football!

To my new spell-checker, thank you. I typed it into Google and it came up the way I spelled it... I thought it was wrong, but I left it anyway.

Tell Uncle G we are praying for him.