Thursday, September 08, 2005

Need vs. Needed

I got a chance to head out to Kensington Community Church in Troy today to hear Alex McManus speak on church planting. I will also be attending a conference tomorrow that Alex will be teaching at in Royal Oak. Alex may be known by some as the brother of Erwin McManus, pastor of Mosaic Church in California.

It was great to spend some time with him this afternoon. He is excited about Christ... I love listening to people that are excited about their walk with Christ. It inspires me. It reminds me of what I have in Him.

I am not going to say much tonight, I'm sure more will follow tomorrow, but one thing Alex said really stuck with me. It drives deep into many of the problems with the church today. This is not word for word, but the basic idea, as I understood it, was this:

When we lose ourselves in Christ and look to Him rather than tradition or what has worked in the past, we become people that are needed by the Church rather than someone who needs the church to survive. When we realize that we were meant to "announce the Kingdom, not just to build it," we are needed by the Church rather than needing it and it alone.

Before all my Fundamental Brethren jump down my throat, hear me out first. I am not saying that we don't need each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. But let's be honest here, we have become so dependent on "church" to do the work of Christ for us that we have become incredibly dependent on it. "Bring your friends to church this week." No harm in that, but aren't your friends really going to see Christ lived out in you?

We have become so conditioned to rely on fancy programs and outreach events at our churches that living out our lives authentically comes in second. Where is the excitement? He is alive! He is coming back someday! God is setting up His Kingdom!! We should be shouting it in the streets, but we don't want to offend.

Paul didn't decide that Ephesus would be a great place to start a church, the Church started without him. No special programs or events needed. He came to them to encourage and disciple them. The Ephesians were proud to announce that God's Kingdom was coming. That is why people were drawn to them.

My hope is that my mindset will change. That my heart will align with Christ. It is time to let people know that God is here and He has plans to build His Kingdom... get on board and enjoy the ride!

3 comments:

Lifetime Dieter said...

This sounds like something my Pastor preaches. Traditions are fine in the church. We have traditions in our family. But, what isn't fine is Traditionalism. Doing something (an event, music, Vacation Bible School, use a hymnal) just because it has always been done. We need to rethink our reasons for doing what we do. Great post and I'm a Fundamentalist!

Stephanie said...

i'm desperately jealous that you go to go to that.
had i had the $$$.... ::wistful sigh::

Scott Donnelly said...

It was fun... good to see you tonight.