Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Nu Thang!

So I am trying this new thing...

What I do, is go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up very early in the morning. Not as easy as it sounds, you know?

I have always been a "Night Owl." For some reason I have bought into this idea that I am more creative or "hit my stride" when everyone else is hitting the sack. Granted, there is solitude at night. It gives you a chance to be alone with your thoughts. But most of the time it just means you flip around on the TV or go on wild goose chases all over the internet... I will literally sit down and open the laptop to look at the weather and end up reading about why ragweed makes me sneeze sometimes, then try to find home remedies and end up taking some hour long survey to win a free iPod!

Trifling.

So the other reason that I became a late night guy, was that I never wanted to miss anything. That sounds weird, but hear me out. When I was a little kid, I can remember my parents having people over or they were just watching TV or talking and I, of course, had to go to bed. It was brutal... my dad would sing this song (to the "Good Night Ladies" song):

Good Night Scottie.
Good Night Scottie.
Good Night Scottie, we're sorry to see you go.

So anyway, they would send me to bed, but I would not go to sleep. I would sit up and listen really closely to what they were talking about or what they were watching. Many times I would try to come up with a way to get out of my room to get into the action.

The usual trick was to say I needed a drink of water. So I would go into the kitchen and get the drink and stay very, very quiet so they forgot about me. Then I would listen intently and enjoy the night... until they heard me and sent me packin'. I can also remember when company was over coming out and asking a question and eventually taking center stage somehow to entertain. I figured if I was entertaining enough I would put off the "Good Night Scottie" song for a while.

So here I am. Trying to make a transformation from "Night Owl" to "Early Bird."

No comments: