Sunday, August 21, 2005

Lock Down

Sometimes in unfamiliar surroundings we forget the most basic of things.

For example...

I was at my mom and dad's house the other day with our dog, Bailey. I was just about to leave after working on the pool and a few other chores. Bailey and I came into the house and prepared to head back home. I got all my things together and set them on the table and remembered that I needed to bring something in from outside. I told Bailey to stay inside and I would be right back...

You know, at my house, when you lock the door, you can't turn the knob. I guess that is not the case at my parent's house. As I walked out the door, shutting it behind me so my little furry friend wouldn't follow, I got that bad feeling in my stomach like I had just done something very stupid... I did.

I locked my keys, my phone, my shoes, my wallet and my one year old puppy in the house! First I felt like an idiot. Next I did what anyone would do to cover their mistake, I tried to break into the house. How I thought I could do this is still a mystery, but I tried. All for nothing.

Now I had to figure out how to contact someone with a key. So I saw a neighbor pulling into their driveway and asked to use their phone. I called Cheryl to talk with my brother, Matt, so they could come home and help me.

In the mean time, I hear Bailey, barking and crying. "Where did you go? Why did you lock me in here?" So I went to the back window and looked in. I called out his name and he came running. He jumped up on the couch and stared out the window at me. It was like 90 degrees on Friday, so eventually, I sat down by the doorwall in a chair. Mom and dad have these giant shutter contraptions that cover the slider. Bailey barked a few times then I saw these giant shutters shake and move. Suddenly I see this little wet doggie nose pushing them apart. He got them open just enough so that he could see me sitting there.

So there we sat. Bailey staring at me, always keeping me in sight.

In that moment, I thought to myself, Isn't this how I should be? Shouldn't I long to see God like this? Keeping my eyes on Him, shouldn't that be my priority? The thing that calms me and gives me a sense of security...

I am learning God. Sometimes it takes a moment of forgetfullness to remember how important You are in my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did you get in?

Scott Donnelly said...

I'm actually still stuck outside. I am feeding little slices of deli thin meat to Bailey under the door to keep him alive.

My wife and brother came home from work to let me in.

Cheryl said...

Sweetie - you called Bailey your "fury friend"...did you mean "furry friend" or was this a Freudian slip? :-) You know me, I always catch insignificant spelling errors. Love you baby.
C.

Scott Donnelly said...

Fixed it... English Major. We should give you the nickname, "Spell Check."

You're still cute though.