Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Easy Way Out...

Not sure how many people tuned in last night, but I'm sure it broke some records. I tuned in and I'm not even a fan of the show. I hoped I would see something different happen last night, but I didn't.

I'm talking about the TLC "reality" show, Jon & Kate Plus 8.

Part of me thought I shouldn't even write about this. Giving them more attention just feeds into the disaster that they are already a part of.

As I watched last night I heard Jon & Kate throwing out this phrase, "for my kids," a lot.

"I do everything for my kids."

"We're doing this for our kids."

"This is the best thing for my kids."

Really?

As the tension built throughout the show, I just kept shaking my head. Why would they do this to their kids? What benefit would the kids get from the decision they were about to make? What would those kids think when they looked back at this TV show that brought them so much fortune and fame but destroyed their family?

Do you think that every one of those kids wouldn't give up all the toys and things that they get from this show to have their mommy and daddy together?

Maybe Jon & Kate don't have any real friends or family members that care enough to speak the truth to them, but someone should have told them a long time ago that it's time to step up and put your family first.

Turn off the cameras. Tell TLC to kiss off. Deal with whatever consequences come your way and save your family. They don't need "crooked houses," picnic lunches on acres of land or anything else but their family.

Do you think TLC really cares one bit about you as a human being. If they did, they would say, "Hey, we're going to put the show on hold and get you guys some counseling. We love you too much to let this show destroy your family. These kids need you." The only thing they see are huge ratings and tons of cash piling in. It's really despicable.

I know this is just one family who just happens to be famous for taking fertility drugs and having 6 kids at once, but seriously this whole thing is just a taste of what happens in families all over the world. People are so willing to throw in the towel on their marriage.

Jon and Kate could work through this. There was something there. They loved each other at some point. I wish I had five minutes to talk with them to show them what they are doing. In reality they know what they are doing. The money and the fame and all that goes with it are just too much for them to let go of apparently.

Soon the lights will fade on their little show. America likes a happy ending and this is not a happy ending. Maybe they will realize that the show will get a ratings boost if they reconcile and stay married... or maybe we can pray they turn those cameras off and do the right thing.

1 comment:

SumDumGai said...

Jon is hot