Thursday, July 26, 2007

WARNING... I May Be Contagious!

Socially contagious that is...

A new study by some people with way too much time on their hands says that if you hang out with "obese" people you may catch their fat cooties. As if little children pointing and staring at you in public wasn't enough, now being chunky may scare off all your "normal sized" friends.

I think there is a little something to this, but it has a lot more to do with who accepts you and who you feel comfortable around. I don't hang out with a lot of marathon runners... they might want to go jogging or something, so I most likely wouldn't be with them while they are training. Not that I detest joggers or hate the idea of being fit, but at certain points in our journey we aren't headed in the same direction. My opinion (if it really matters) is that people end up spending time with people that they identify with.

Even though a lot of "Christians" can get on my nerves, when you meet up with someone that shares your faith, you generally have a bond. Later you may end up being annoyed by them, but the initial foundation is there.

I don't search out chubby people when I come into a room, but we have a connection. You know what they are going through and what they have experienced, therefore, you may end up getting to know them. A lot of the plus sized people I meet in my life have a sense of humor, which is very appealing... you have to develop this to survive when you are overweight.

This study just reinforces prejudices and stereotypes that have been around for a very long time. Most people look at you differently when you are on the plump side. They look down on you. Pity you. Are disgusted by you and now need to fear that you may make them choose a pro-fat lifestyle.

I can see it now, politicians rallying their base against the obese. Other candidates choosing to be pro-plump. Another category for all of us to fear or to fit into... so nice and neat isn't it?

In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Maybe more people should take the time to help out the people who struggle with obesity rather than ostracize them. If you have been watching the show, Shaq's Big Challenge, you will see that getting people excited and encouraged about a healthy lifestyle can start a revolution.

Don't be afraid healthy people... even you rotten people with speedy metabolisms, I won't rub off on you. At least I'll try not to. But don't expect any marathon running... not yet anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some lady outside of Old Navy yesterday asked me if they sold Plus size clothes in there. Then she got this really embarrassed look on her face because she basically just called me fat. I just laughed.
I have been tempted to sign up for the "Biggest Loser". That would be awesome to lose weight and win a million dollars.

Casey said...

I had a bath and body works cashier ask me when I am due. Not only is it unacceptable to ask someone you know and love when they are due, but never ever should you ask a total stranger. What a moron. At any rate, I rarely think of the size of my friends when I am enjoying thier company. Who cares?