Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Here We Go Again...

I have no idea why, but we're watching Last Comic Standing again this year. They've got a new host, Bill Bellamy, and now three past contestants are the judging panel. By the way, only one of them won the season they were on, in fact Alonzo Boden had to come back for a season vs. season showdown before he was crowned Last Comic Standing. Not to mention that idiot Ant... who is he kidding with that hair piece? Sorry... that was wrong.

This show grabs me and then infuriates me every time it's on. I know it's coming, but I still put myself through it. At least this year I saw a comic that I knew from my days back in the Detroit comedy scene... Dave Landau... he lost and didn't look to happy about it.

The reason that I get all ticked off with this show is the fine print. If you read the fine print at the end of the show each week, it says that, "portions of the show have been edited out for the sake of time... blah, blah, blah... oh, and winning contestants are chosen by the panel and producers of the show."

I wouldn't have a problem with that if the funniest people made it to the next round, but the producers - God love 'em - choose people not just because they are the funniest, but because they will bring Reality Show freakiness to the house. They want crazy, unbalanced people because they will bring drama into the house. They will cause otherwise semi-normal people to do and say things that will have America talking tomorrow around the water cooler.

I know comedy is subjective, but let me just tell you that a lot of great comics go unnoticed and unappreciated on Last Comic Standing. They say that the funniest person in the World will be found this season... probably not, but at least we'll be laughing most of the way.

3 comments:

Casey said...

All the more reason we should open our own comedy club.

GodSide said...

I regretfully disagree.

For the most part I think the people they send on are funny. It is WAY more funnier than last year...

to bad 94 east wasnt around to try out.

Anonymous said...

haha - 94 east