Friday, June 29, 2007

Show Me.

What a great night...

We had a few people over tonight and just sat here in the living room worshipping and praying for one another. It was a really great time. There is nothing like just getting quiet before God and waiting on him.

I really treasure these times. These moments where you just get a taste of who God really is. He only gives us what we can handle... Rob Bell talked about this in Velvet Elvis:

Later Moses says to God, "Show me your glory."

Which is our way of saying, "I need more. I need something I can see. Something tangible.

God's response? He tells Moses to go stand on a rock, because he's going to pass by. He explains to Moses that no one can see him and live, so he'll cover Moses with his hand (God's hand) as he passes by, and then he says, "I will remove my hand and you will see my back."

The ancient rabbi's had all sorts of things to say about this passage, but one of the most fascinating things they picked up on is the part about God's back. They argued that in the original Hebrew language, the word back should be understood as a euphemism for "where I just was".

It is as if God is saying, "The best you're going to do, the most you are capable of, is seeing where I... just... was."

That's the closest you are going to get.

I love that picture. Just the idea that seeing God would literally kill us. The holiness is so overpowering, that we would cease to breathe again if God even showed himself to us. We have to just catch a glimpse of where he was! It leaves us wanting more... pursuing him. He loves that.

I wanna be like David. People have spoken it over me before and I just so happen to be named David too. A man after God's own heart... David never stopped seeking and trying to experience just a glimpse of his savior.

It's these moments like to tonight, when I see where he just was and it makes my heart fill with joy that I cannot explain.

No comments: