Thursday, March 09, 2006

Don't Give Up!

So, God has an incredible sense of humor... Let me explain.

Just a little background here: Cheryl and I are always trying to figure out what to have for dinner. It's one of the toughest decisions we make on a daily basis. Everything is complicated by the fact that having dinner these days is cheaper than making in most cases. We can pick up a Little Ceasars Pizza for $5 and the Taco Bell or Wendy's $1 menu is always cheaper and easier than cooking. Plus, we are on the go at least 3 out of 5 weekdays, so something quick is always the way to go.

All that to say, tonight was another, "What should we eat tonight?" quandry and I had to decide all on my own. As I was headed to Taco Bell, something told me to go elsewhere.

So I decided to order some Curbside service from one of our local eateries. As I was driving through "rush hour" traffic, I was dialing through all the presets on my radio. I hit that horrible time when all the stations were playing commercials.

From my past experience in radio, I have no idea why all these stations decide to play there commercial breaks at the same time. Why not be the only station not doing that so that you attract more listeners? Anyway, I was really reaching to find some music. I was so desparate in fact that I even tuned into WMUZ.

Just a little background here - I used to work for WMUZ during my 6 year radio career. I don't want to ruin anything for you, but working for WMUZ was not what I expected when I applied to work there. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that we live in a country where we can have freedom to have Christian Radio. But... my time there was eye opening to say the least.

So as I tuned into WMUZ, I heard talking (as usual) and started to change the station, but something stopped me. As I listened to Robin talk she mentioned something about how some people were unable to have children after years of trying. O.K. you have my attention. I was expecting it to be a commercial for a fertility clinic or a chiropractor that could make you fertile, but that was not it at all. God was about to speak to me through WMUZ... this is no small feat since I think of the station as quite a joke.

Robin had someone call in and talk about how he and his wife were unable to have children and had gone to doctors and done various things to get pregnant, to no avail. Then he just gave it to God and trusted that He knew what was right. The caller said that even though conventional methods said he and his wife were not able to have children that God had a different plan. He told Robin that he and his wife just had their 5th child this year.

Robin wrapped it all up by saying, "Don't Give Up." She repeated it over and over. God was speaking to me. In fact the day before I received a card in the mail from my mother in which she wrote, "Don't Give Up."

That phrase spoke to me on many different levels. It was not only a reassurance of a promise that I know He is going to fulfill, but it was a reminder that I must not lose hope, never give up. I have to trust in Him... "lean not on my own understanding..." just trust that He has my best interests in mind.

So all this to say, look and listen for His voice. Sometimes God even speaks through strange places like WMUZ... you never know when He has something to say.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott and Cheryl--
You guys will make great parents and I can't wait for the day when God blesses you with children. I wish I could tell you how his timing works, but I haven't a clue. So we are praying with you. In the meantime, have fun trying!

d-roc said...

Casey and I have been praying for you guys on this subject specifically ever since Desperate. It is amazing to watch God move in other peoples lives. Give it up to Him and let Him do the work. He knows the deepest desires of your heart and He will not forget them. Praise God!!!

Scott Donnelly said...

Thanks guys.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that was WMUZ? LOL

I still pray that one day we will start a REAL Christian station someday.


Dont Give Up...I have a friends out here that tried for FOUR years before having a child...and now he is SO special to them...the story amazes all who hear it.

Have you surrendered the whole thing to God? Are you willing to not have children and still worship Him?

Cheryl said...

Kurt, we gave all this to God years ago. Scott and I agree that we will be fine if we never have children and fine if we do, either naturally or via adoption.

Anonymous said...

thats awesome...I pray God blesses you with a child soon.