Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Royal Screw Job...

My brother, Matthew (guy in the pic to your right) , just got the screw job today and that got me thinking... why are so many people out to screw us?

This is one of those questions with many answers for sure.

Nobody wants to let someone get the best of them. Nobody wants to lose. Some people are just plain greedy. Others figure they should screw other people before they get screwed themselves. It's a horrible vicious cycle.

Sometimes there is no way not to get screwed... take the whole insurance industry. Take your pick; health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, life insurance. One way or another, if you have to use them, you will surely get screwed. Trust me, we used ours last winter for a broken window... they doubled our premiums for the year. Moral of the story, buy a new window and fix it yourself.

This is not paranoia. People really are out to take advantage of us. It makes you want to fight back doesn't it? I mean, there are times that I want to nothing but horrible things to happen to my credit card companies... fantasies of a some Tyler Durden action.

As much as my flesh begs me to get "even," I know what I have to do...

38 "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' [g] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Matthew 5:38 - 42 (TNIV)

"O.K. Scott, I'll just be a doormat. I'll let everyone take advantage of me and abuse me any way they choose."

First off, did I say that? Nope, to give credit to the right guy, Jesus spoke those words to a bunch of people on a mountain over 2000 years ago. They thought it was a wild idea too. I wanna' say that we shouldn't be a doormat, but I think maybe we just want to feel safe and cozy. Maybe Jesus really was saying, let them walk all over you, eventually it'll pay off. They'll see you are different. They will be attracted to your caring spirit. They will wonder how they can get what you have. Isn't that what its all about?

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Mark 12:30 - 31 (TNIV)

Just a thought...

God Bless.
-----------------------------

Not trying to be heavy every time I Blog, but when the Spirit moves, there is no stopping Him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is some good insight. i've been waiting for you to write something new ever since friday.

thanks for hooking me up with this fun stuff.

see ya at breakfast...

Anonymous said...

I like that your using the TNIV...looks like I influenced you for the the better.